Rain, children and school holidays can sometimes equal looooong days, tense discussions and a house that looks like a bomb has gone off.
Can we dare to suggest that you get out of the house, at least for a couple of hours to prevent too many meltdowns by both children and grown ups!
Here a few of our suggestions of things you can do when the weather is not on your side:-
Bowling – Fun activity for all ages – Try Strike, King Pin or AMF
Indoor Mini Golf at Miranda
Skyzone Trampoline Park – Alexandria and Miranda
Local Indoor swimming Pool – perfect way to burn off some energy – Cook & Phillip Park Aquatic Centre, Ian Thorpe Aquatic Centre, Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre, Ryde Aquatic Centre
Kid friendly museum, we love the Powerhouse, Australian Museum, Justice and Police Museum, Hyde Park Barracks
Powerhouse Museum School Holiday Fun
Art Gallery of NSW School Holiday Fun & Kids Club
Hyde Park Barracks
Sydney Opera House Kids & Family Shows
Sydney Festival from 7 – 26 January
Indoor Rock climbing – Sydney Indoor climbing at St Peters, Climbfit at St Leonards, Rockhouse in Brookvale
Be a tourist in your own city and visit the Aquarium, Sydney Wildlife Zoo or Madame Tussauds
Children friendly cafes / restaurants – Coogee Pavilion, The Grounds at Alexandria, The Grounds Pop Up at Entertainment Quarter, The Greens at North Sydney, Burnt Orange, Max Brenner, Coco Chocolate
Old Faithfuls – movies, indoor play centre or combine those household must do jobs with a visit to Bunnings (fun for the whole family)!
If you can’t face leaving the house, here are some activities to do at home to keep everyone amused and happy!
- Lego building competition (who can build the tallest building without collapsing, build a car, space station)
- Play a board game
- Make a train or car track around furniture in your house
- Bake some cookies or something for dinner
- Build a cubby house with rugs, couches and cushions
- Get crafty and make a mask or create a special machine with your recycling
- Finger painting
- Movie time – make popcorn and snuggle on the couch
- Show time – have the children create a show for you with a prepared dance routine, play or create a show with their toys.
All else fails if you can’t beat it, join it, get on your gumboots and raincoats and jump in some puddles and have fun, come home to a warm bubble bath!